This content is part of a series.
God Is a Loving Father (4 of 40)
Series: Emerge: Kingdom
Jesus Culture - Banning Liebscher
God is an extravagant Father who is better than you could ever expect! He loves you and cares for you and has your best interest in mind.
A deep understanding of God as a loving Father was at the core of Jesus’ ministry on Earth-and it is at the core of how we relate to God. We aren’t orphans anymore. We aren’t alone. We are children of God! He is our Father, and He loves us.
Main Scriptures: Luke 15:11-32
- Focus on verses 20-24 for the father’s love and compassion.
- Focus on verses 31-32 for the response to the older son.
EQUIP: God is an extravagant loving Father.
Teaching Point 1: Both sons misunderstood the love of the father.
Jesus told a parable of two sons and a father that is commonly called the Parable of the Prodigal Son. In it, we see a rebellious son and a rule-keeping son. One of them went and sinned openly, while the other worked hard to obey all the rules.
The father loved them both, but neither son really knew the father’s heart.
The rebellious son:
- The rebellious son wasted his inheritance on wild living (LUKE 15:13).
- He forgot his identity as a son and that he belonged in his family (LUKE 15:19).
- He expected rejection and to be made a slave (LUKE 15:19).
The rule-keeping son:
- The rule-keeping son worked for approval and attention (LUKE 15:25,29).
- When his rebellious brother returned, he became angry and jealous and drew away from his father. His attitude kept him separate from the family (LUKE 15:28).
- He didn’t approve of the way the father loved the brother. He thought his younger brother did not deserve or earn this love (LUKE 15:29-30).
- He forgot who he was. He lived in the father’s house, but he wasn’t living as a son. - He was performing for what was already his (LUKE 15:31).
The sons in this story did not understand who their father was and who they were.
God, the extrava ...
There are 12331 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.