This content is part of a series.
How To Be A Super Dad
Dr. Stan Coffey
We're going to look at one of the greatest stories ever told by the greatest storyteller who ever lived. I love the parables of Jesus. Jesus had a such a unique way of illustrating profound truths and putting them on a down to earth level so that everybody could understand. This is not only the story of a prodigal son, but it's also the story of a loving father. I think we have in this father a model of a Super Dad. Let's look at this story.
(Read Luke 15:11-32)
I want us to think about what does it mean to be a Super Dad. A Super Dad has to be able to say the right things at the right time, such as these remarks that come from the book, DADS SAY THE DUMBEST THINGS.
1. And when I say no, I mean no!
2. I'll tell you why: because, that's why.
3. I'm your father; that's why.
4. As long as you live in my house, you'll live by my rules.
5. If all your friends wanted to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, does that mean you'd do it, too?
6. If you want something to do, I'll give you something to do.
7. I know it's your game, but your uncle and I are playing right now.
8. A pet! Why do you want a pet? You've got a sister.
9. If you fall out of that tree and break your leg, don't come running to me about it.
Super Dads know a lot of things. They know how to say the right thing at the right time, and they know now to turn something positive out of something negative. There was a young father-to-be that was in the hospital; his wife was in the delivery room, he was in the waiting room. He just knew they were going to have a son. They didn't go down and get the sonogram and find out exactly what they would have, but he was just hoping and praying for a son. So he was just waiting out there with anticipation. Perspiration was dripping from his forehead; he was wringing his hands; he was walking back and forth. Finally about six hours later, the nurse popped out her head and sai ...
There are 15919 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.