This content is part of a series.
The Bones Of Belief (48 of 48)
Series: Creation or Evolution?
Dr. Stan Coffey
Hebrews 11:22 - Genesis 50
January 17, 1988
INTRODUCTION: The story of Joseph's death and burial is told in five short verses and with that death the book of Genesis ends. It was a significant death. In Hebrews 11 the Holy Spirit passes over scores of things he could have said about Joseph and focuses on the incident mentioned here - the fact that Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel and gave commandment concerning his bones. This is one of the most illuminating acts of faith in the life of Joseph. What Joseph was saying and instructing his people to carry his bones with them when they left Egypt was that God would keep His Word.
I. THE ROOTS OF JOSEPH'S FAITH
A. Joseph's faith was rooted in the Word of God - Romans 10:17
1. Faith is not just positive thinking
2. Faith is not just wishing
3. Faith is not just deciding
4. Faith is not just confessing
5. Faith is responding to what God has said
B. Joseph's faith responded to the Word of God - Genesis 5:3
Joseph knew that the Israelites were going to leave the land of Egypt because God had already said so (Genesis 13:14)
1. Faith is responding to God's Word in spite of appearances. At the time Joseph spoke concerning his bones and the Israelites leaving, the Israelites were in a place of favor in Egypt
2. Faith is responding to God's Word in spite of time - Genesis 15:13 & 14
C. Faith is reaffirmed in fulfilled prophecy
1. Prophecy ...
There are 3096 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1548 character sample of the full content.