This content is part of a series.
Captain Noah And The Good Ship Grace (17 of 48)
Series: Creation or Evolution?
Dr. Stan Coffey
Genesis 6, 7 and 8
February 15, 1987
INTRODUCTION: Jesus said in Matthew 24:37 that the days for His coming would parallel with the conditions existing during the days of Noah. In those days, in spite of the preaching of Noah, men simply ignored the warning from God. They were just as sure as they could be that tomorrow was going to come just as yesterday had come. In the context of these days the Bible says in Genesis 6:8 that Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Though God declared that he would destroy the world he made a provision of salvation in instructing Noah to build an ark. That ark is a wonderful object lesson of the salvation we possess in Jesus Christ.
I. THE SYMBOLISM OF THE SHIP - I Peter 3:21 and 22
The Old Testament Ark was a type of the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
A. The substance of the ship - vs. 12 E 13
1. The ark was made of gopher wood (cypress - a wood that is almost indestructible) This is symbolic of the humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ which was indestructible
2. A righteous man is spoken of as a tree planted at the river of water, (Psalms 1) The Lord Jesus Himself was pictured in Isaiah 53 as a root out of dry ground
3. The Lord Jesus Christ was God's mighty tree who was cut down in His youth
B. The safety of the ship - vs. 14
1. The ark was covered inside and outside with pitch - a sticky tar
2. The word pitch is the Hebrew word caphar that is translated over 70 times "atonement"
3. The same word for pitch is used in Leviticus 17:11 for the blood atonement
4. The word atonement or pitch means "covering"
5. The waters of the flood represented God's judgment but Noah was saved because not one drop of judgment could come through God's atonement
C. The size of the ship - vs. 14 and 15
1. It was sufficient for all that it was intended to do
2. It's immensity was God's way of say ...
There are 4920 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.