This content is part of a series.
The Blood Atonement (13 of 48)
Series: Creation or Evolution?
Dr. Stan Coffey
December 28, 1986
INTRODUCTION: When Cain was born his mother thought he was Christ. She thought that already the promised seed had come, the promise one who would crush the serpents head. She said in verse 1, "I have gotten a man, even Jehovah." Her exclamation demonstrates her saving faith in the promise of a coming redeemer. However, she was wrong. She was right in believing that the Messiah would come and that He would be of her seed. She was wrong in thinking that he was Cain. Before long she had cause to change her mind. - Cain, no doubt, reflected his temper tantrums, his inborn ability to deceive and lie, his self-will and pride. So that when Abel was born she called him vanity. But Genesis 4 is not only written to tell us the story of these two sons but also to tell us that God is to be worshipped and also it tells us that there is a right way and a wrong way to worship God. Jesus said in the Gospel of John 4 that God is a Spirit and they that worship him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. That means some people worship God but not in a spiritual way. And some people worship God but their worship is not according to the truth of God's Word. It also tells us there is a difference between Biblical salvation and false salvation.
I. THE CONTRAST OF THE WORSHIP OF CAIN AND ABEL
A. All religion is not the same - vs 3 and 4
1. Abel's sacrifice demonstrates that Ch.ris5t, the Lamb of God, is the only way to heaven - Acts 4:12
2. Jesus himself claimed to be the only way to heaven - John 14:6
B. The false religion of Cain - vs. 3
1. Cain's religion was false because it represented self-effort - It was the fruit of the ground and God had said cursed is the ground
2. Cain's religion was false because it did not involve a blood offering - Hebrews 9:22
3. There are only two kinds of religion
a. Salvation by works - the religion of Cain - Jude 11
b. Salva ...
There are 4066 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.