This content is part of a series.
Where Man Came From & Where He Is Headed (2 of 48)
Dr. Stan Coffey
Series: Creation or Evolution?
Genesis 1:1-2; 2:3
September 21, 1986
INTRODUCTION: In 1859 Darwin wrote "The Origin Of The Species." What is more important than the origin of the species is the destiny of the species. From whence we came has been decided. Every human being must and can decide where they are going. Long ago Moses wrote concerning both the origin and destiny of mankind.
MEANING OF THE DAYS - verses 5,8,13
A. Translation of the word "day" in Hebrew
1. Used more than 1,400 times
2. Translated 44 times in scripture
B. Uses the word "day" in scripture
1. To refer to a period of 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds
2. To refer to portion of a day called "daylight" - Genesis 1:5
3. To refer to an indefinite period of time - Isaiah 4:1
4. To refer to an inclusive period of time - Genesis 2:4
C. Geological ages or 2-4 hour periods?
God made the world in 6 literal 24 hour periods - why?
1. Because of the normal use of the word, "the evening and the morning"
2. Because of the nature of the language used in scripture – Geological ages would not fit the sequence of creation
a. If you have plant life on the third day then the sun created on the fourth day you would have millions of years with plant life without the sun
b. On the fifth day animal life created. Animal life and plant life are interdependent. If these are geological ages you have millions of years of plant life and no animal life
c. Biblical writers confirmed these as literal days - Exodus 20:11
II. THE MIRACLE OF THE DAYS
A. God and true science do not conflict. Check science by the Bible, not the Bible by science
B. Evolution is a theory not a fac ...
There are 3486 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1743 character sample of the full content.