This content is part of a series.
Can A Suicide Go To Heaven? And Other Questions About Death (13 Of 26)
Series: Issues of the 90's
Dr. Stan Coffey
People do not like to think about death, yet there is something about the subject that draws us like a magnet. Some people respond to the idea of death with defiance. Others laugh at death. George Burns said "I don't believe in death." Some are resigned to death. The saddest of all are those who invite death. Death is a dreaded enemy, and yet the Bible promises believers victory over death through Christ.
I. WHAT ABOUT PRAYERS FOR THE DEAD?
A. We should respect the memories of our loved ones who have gone to be-with the Lord. (Heb. 12:1)
B. We should comfort the bereaved and sympathize- with them in their sorrow.
C No where in the Bible, however, are we-told to intercede for the dead; to do so would be to believe in a second chance after death which is not taught in scripture.
II. WHAT ABOUT COMMUNICATION WITH THE DEAD? SHOULD WE TRY TO CONTACT OUR LOVED ONES WHO HAVE GONE BEYOND?
A. Since the beginning of history man has sought to establish some type of communication with the spirits of the departed.
B. The Bible strictly discourages this practice:
1. In Old Testament times Israel was strictly forbidden to establish communication with the departed spirits (Deu. 18:10-12; Isa. 5:l)
2. King Saul's famous visit to the witch of Endor was condemned by the spirit of the departed prophet (I Samuel 28:15)
3. Cultic practices such as communicating with departed spirits are connected with the demonic in New Testament teaching (Gal.5:19-21; Revelation 21:8;)
III. WHAT ABOUT A PERSON WHO COMMITS SUICIDE? CAN THEY GO TO HEAVEN?
A. Persons in the Old Testament who committed suicide.
1. Saul, first King of Israel (I Sam 31:4)
2. Saul's Armor-Bearer (I Sam. 31:5)
3. Ahithophel, David's counselor (11 Sam. 17:23)
4. Zimri, King of Israel ( I Kings 16:18)
5. Samson (Judges 16:30)
B. Persons in the New Testament who committed suicide.
i. Judas Iscariot (who betrayed Jesus) Matt 27:5
2. The Phillipian jailer attempted suicide - Acts 16:27-31
C. When the Bible mentions suicide it does- not deal with it in light of eternal consequences, but merely as a historical fact.
D. Those who say a suicide must go to hell do so on the basis of the 6th commandment, which in Hebrew says "Thou shalt do no murder," (Exodus 20:13) Also I John 3:15 "No murderer bath eternal life abiding in him."
1. The argument is that suicide is self-murder-
2. Those who hold this view see murder as the unpardonable sin, which it is not (Matt. 12)
E. Only an unbeliever, a lost person, who commits suicide will not go to heaven.
1. If a lost person could go to heaven after committing suicide we would have to believe that there is a second chance to be saved beyond death. This is not taught in s ...
There are 5769 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2884 character sample of the full content.
SermonSearch.com is an online resource for sermon outlines and preaching ideas. We offer 30,000+ sermon outlines and 10,000+ free sermon illustrations from top Christian pastors and communicators. You'll write powerful and fresh sermons every week with our sermon preparation tools on a number of sermon topics, including expository preaching.