Ephesians: Walking Worthily Of The Lord (12 Of 32) by Stan Coffey
This content is part of a series.Ephesians: Walking Worthily Of The Lord (12 Of 32)
Through the Bible Survey
Dr. Stan Coffey
August 11, 1991
AUTHORSHIP: The Apostle Paul
RECIPIENTS: The church at Ephesus
MAJOR EMPHASIS: Chapter four of Ephesians marks the second division of the book. The first three chapters emphasize doctrine and share with Christians that what they have by right of their position in Christ their standing with God in the heavenlies is explained. The remaining chapters of this letter centers on the more earthly aspects of the Christian life - the walk of the believer. The first three chapters deal with the believer in Christ; the last three chapters major on Christ in the believer. The word "walk" is used figuratively for conduct in manner of life. The word "vocation" could be translated "calling." Paul admonishes Christians to walk worthy of the high and holy calling in this life in the direction and manner which is in accordance with that call.
1. THE UNIFICATION OF THE CHURCH
The first characteristic of a worthy walk is unity, which is the primary necessity for wholeness and health in a human body. The human body is used as an analogy of the church, the mystical body of Christ.
A. The basis of unity - 4:4-6
1. One body -.vs. 4a "There is one body"
2. One Spirit - vs. 4b "and one Spirit"
3. One hope - vs. 4c "even as ye are called in one hope of your calling"
4. One Lord - vs. 5a "One Lord"
5. One faith - vs. 5b "one faith"
6. One baptism - vs. 5c "one baptism"
7. One God and Father - vs. 6 "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."
B. The bond of unity - vs. 7-16
The bond of unity becomes reality by keeping the unity of the Spirit through the following:
1. The graces of the Spirit - vs. 2
a. Their meaning - vs. 2a "With all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering and forbearing"
b. Their motivation - vs. 2b "forbearing one another in love"
2. The gifts of the Savior - vs. 4-16
a. The prerequisites of the gi ...
There are 4262 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!