How to Be Filled With the Holy Spirit (3 Of 8) by Stan Coffey
This content is part of a series.How to Be Filled With the Holy Spirit (3 Of 8)
Series: What Every Christian Should Know About the Holy Spirit
Dr. Stan Coffey
INTRODUCTION: The need of this hour is for God’s people to be filled with the Holy Spirit. The filling of the Holy Spirit changes the monotonous into the momentous. While every Christian has been baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ and is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, not every Christian is filled with the Holy Spirit. The baptism of the Holy Spirit has to do with salvation but the filling of the Holy Spirit has to do with power for Christian service.
1. THE REASONS FOR BEING FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
A. God’s Word commands it
1. The scripture says ‘‘be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;’’
2. The Greek verb ‘‘filled’’ is in the present imperative tense and can be translated ‘‘be constantly being filled with the Holy Spirit.’’
3. To be filled with the Spirit is not a suggestion from God or merely God expressing a desire but it is a divine command
B. We must be filled with the Spirit because God’s work demands it
1. Christians can only bear fruit and be used of God when they are filled with the Holy Spirit
2. Jesus commanded his disciples to ‘‘tarry ye in Jerusalem until ye be endued with power from on high’’ - Luke 24:49
3. When believers preach, teach, sing and pray without power the results are disastrous
II. THE REQUIREMENTS FOR BEING FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
A. There must be an initial abandonment
1. We are not to persuade God to fill us but to permit Him to do so
2. The filling of the Spirit is not a matter of representing Pentecost but a matter of receiving Pentecost
3. Initial abandonment means taking self off the throne of our lives and placing Christ on the throne in His rightful place
4. Even God cannot fill that which is already full. In order to be filled we must first be empty of sin and self
5. When one is filled with the Holy Spiri ...
There are 4994 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!