The Cure for Loneliness (3 of 4) by Jeff Strite
This content is part of a series.The Cure for Loneliness (3 of 4)
Series: RX for the Soul
OPEN: Being as this is the Valentine Weekend I wanted to share a few quotes by children about love:
- Glenn, age 7 - If falling love is anything like learning how to spell, I don't want to do it. It takes too long.
- Tom, age 5 - Once I'm in kindergarten, I'm going to find me a wife.
- Kenny, age 7 - It gives me a headache to think about that stuff. I'm just a kid. I don't need that kind of trouble.
- Regina, age 10 - I'm not rushing into love. I'm finding fourth grade hard enough.
- Angie, age 10 - Most men are brainless, so you might have to try more than once to find a live one.
- Dave, age 8 - Love will find you, even if you are trying to hide from it. I've been trying to hide from it since I was five, but the girls keep finding me.
- Ava, age 8 - One of you should know how to write a check. Because, even if you have tons of love, there is still going to be a lot of bills.
- Manuel, age 8 - I think you're supposed to get shot with an arrow or something, but the rest of it isn't supposed to be painful.
APPLICATION: Today, we're going to be talking about the painful side of love.
The dark side of affection...
The flip side of friendship...
Today we're going to discuss a painful experience known as loneliness.
How many of you can ever remember being Lonely? (A vast number raised their hands). You're in good company. A recent Gallop poll said 4 out of 10 Americans admit to frequent feelings of intense loneliness.
ILLUS: Charles Swindoll mentioned an ad in a Kansas newspaper. It read, ''I will listen to you talk for 30 minutes without comment for $5.00.'' Swindoll said, ''Sounds like a hoax, doesn't it? But the person was serious. Did anybody call? You bet. It wasn't long before this individual was receiving 10 to 20 calls a day. The pain of loneliness was so sharp that some were willing to try anything for a half hour of companionship.''
I remembe ...
There are 12508 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!