This content is part of a series.
A Soul Destroying Busyness (3 of 3)
Series: God and the Rest of the Week
A problem most
all of you have, but you've probably never heard a sermon on it before: busyness.
- We are busy people...
- We're busy with our jobs: 86% of men and 67% of women in the United States work an average of more than 40 hours a week.1
- Yet, most workers feel like they never have time to get anything done.2?
- Only 57% of Americans use all of their allotted vacation time.3
- This causes emotional problems. CNN: In a 6-year study of 2,500 workers, those who worked 11-hour days were 2.5 times more likely to become depressed than those who worked 8-hour days.4
- And we're not getting enough sleep.?
- And, of course, this just contributes to the problem. Sleep deprivation causes obesity, diabetes, and depression.?
- We tell each other stories about saints who got up at 3...Well, they went to bed at 6 pm because they didn't have lights.?
- Average American getting about 2 hours less of sleep than our great grandparents 100 years ago!
- And then you have kids. I was listening to Jim Gaffigan, who has 4 kids...he said, ''People ask me, 'What's it like to go from 3 to 4 kids. He said, ''Well, it feels like you are drowning in the ocean, fighting with all your might to keep your head afloat for just another second...and, then, someone in a boat, takes a baby and says, ''Here, catch.''
- And it doesn't seem to be getting any better.?
- NY Times Op-Ed article that talked about how our smart phones and computers ensure that we are never really away from things. Vacation used to be like an on-off switch; now [because of technology] it's more of a dimmer switch.''5?
- Study presented to Congress in the 1960's: with all the new labor saving devices, we'd only work 15 hours a week and our main problem would be what to do with ''all this time on our hands.''6
- Anyone feel like that?
In our God and the Rest of the Week, I want to ...
There are 16850 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.