This content is part of a series.
The Love of Christ Controls Us (1 of 3)
Series: All-In: 2014
2 Corinthians 5:13-21
Read 2 Corinthians 5:13-21.
I see 3 things in Paul's majestic passage here: (1) A motivation; (3) A measure; and (3) A mission for how to live. All of them center around a message for any of you outside of Christ: The price has been paid for your sin; be reconciled to God. But for us, who are believers, that means 3 things:
1. A Motivation to Live Sacrificially: The Love of Christ! (v. 14).
- Paul says, vs. 14, "The love of Christ controls us...." The love of Christ had become his guiding, motivating principle; he had started to see everything in his life through it.
What does it mean to be "controlled" by the love of Christ?
A. He has captured the first place in your heart.
- Paul never seemed to get over his salvation experience. He said, "We are convinced that if Jesus died for us, then those who live should no longer live for themselves..." ?
- Illustration I have used with you... Command me.
- I sometimes think about what it's going to be like to stand before ?Jesus, and finally realize how lost I would have been had he not saved me. When I see the nail scars from where we took the wrath of God for my sin... ?
- I realize all that now, but I don't think I feel it... the joy of living for him. ?
That's our motivation for giving. Let me be clear. We don't give because God has needs. Our God multiplies loaves and fishes and pulls tax payment out of fish's mouths. He never comes to us hat in hand saying, "Please, sir, can you spare some cash? Please, sir, just a little bit?" We don't give because God has needs; we give because in giving we declare his value to us and our love for him. ?
Ever think about that? What does your generosity say about the value of Jesus to you? ?
- Jesus said if you want to know what you really love, follow the trail of your money.
- You say, "That means I love the Federal gov't." Yeah, I mean your ...
There are 15705 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.