This content is part of a series.
Bound (1 of 4)
Series: The Knot
1. Do you ever wonder how a pastor determines what he is going to preach on each week-or each year? Sometimes it's difficult, but other times there is a clear, strong call from God on a specific area of teaching. In this case, the area of marriage has for me been a clear, strong call from God in terms of teaching for this time in the life of our church.
2. The reason is very simple. Hardly a week goes by that I don't hear of someone having trouble in their marriage, both in our church and outside our church. It is just discouraging to hear how many marriages are struggling in what seems to be a losing battle and sinking into what seems to be a hopeless situation.
3. We are seeing it in the culture. Both the experience of marriage and confidence in marriage is at an all time low. Marriage rates have been falling for decades and are at the lowest ever in our history. As a result, 41% of babies are now born out-of-wedlock - a four-fold increase since 1970.
4. Though the divorce rate has fallen recently, still 40% of first-time marriages fail and it would be safe to say there are a great number of the 60% who are not very happy.
5. Do you wives ever feel like you dated Dr. Jekyll and married Mr. Hyde? Do you husbands ever feel like you went to bed with Sleeping Beauty and woke up with the Wicked Witch of the West?
6. It doesn't take long for newlyweds to realize that ''everything in one person nobody's got.'' There is an old Arab proverb that says, ''Marriage begins with a prince kissing an angel and ends with a bald-headed man looking across the table at a fat lady.''
7. Let me be plain. Marriage can be tough. Marriage is hard work. Dating reveals the best of you. Marriage reveals the worst of you. Even those that you know that have the very best of marriages still have their obstacles, their difficulties, and their battles on a regular basis. I'm reminded of the wi ...
There are 17641 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.