This content is part of a series.
Drawing Close To God (6 of 11)
Series: James: Living Life
Background: The Jewish people have been scattered because of persecution. They are now living abroad in foreign countries. They are experiencing some challenging times and James is writing to encourage them. James does not spend much time in teaching doctrine but rather in how our Christian Faith should be lived out.
The goal is Christian Maturity and Walking Out Your Faith. It is learning how to become all God
Has in store for you as a Christ Follower.
I. Where is the strife coming from?
A. The question is asked "What is causing the quarrels and fights among you?"
1. He is asking them a rhetorical question to get the person to think!
2. Oh we just sometimes need to stop and think why things are happening.
3. There is tremendous conflict happening in the lives of these Christ Followers.
Key Pt: Strife and conflict is a sign that something is not right. Many times you have to go through strife and conflict to arrive at peace.
Some people have adopted strife and conflict as a lifestyle and don't realize that it is not normal to continually live this way.
B. The source of the strife is found v. 1
1. Within you and me. Being Self Centered
2. Desires - Greek word hedonais - making pleasure the source of man's
Quest. It is all about me and what makes me feel good.
Key Pt: It is when we try and get our needs met apart from God. We now begin to act like and become our own God.
C. Notice the 2 main points v. 2
1. You want what you don't have
- So you scheme and kill to get it
2. You are jealous of what someone has and you cannot get it
- So you fight and wage war to take it away from them.
Key Pt: Again it is all focused on you getting what you want your way! It is living a life that is self absorbed and self consumed.
Illustration: It is living life like my 20 month old son Benaiah.
II. Who Should Be Our True Source? V. 2b - 3
There are 6378 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.