This content is part of a series.
Creating Memories (5 of 5)
Series: Model For Positive Parenting
OPEN: Memorial Day originated when Southern women scattered spring flowers on the graves of soldiers during the Civil War. They honored the Northern dead as well as their own in this way. After the war, General John A. Logan (commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic) named May 30th as a special day for honoring the graves of Union soldiers. After WWI, the American legion took over this responsibility and eventually this day became a day to honor all those who had given their lives for our country.
Memorial Day is a day set aside to "remember" the price that has been paid for our freedom
And… on Memorial Day, many people set aside time to "remember"
• There are Memorial Day parades in cities across the nation
• There are special services held at Cemeteries
• And, this weekend, there is a new memorial has been dedicated in Washington D.C. to honor those who served our country in WWII.
APPLY: Memorial Day is a teaching tool.
And it's designed to teach us to (pause…) "remember."
One day a year our nation sets aside this day - and days like it - to remember things which is important to us as a nation.
I. God did that with His people too.
God set aside three special days - 3 festivals -. designed to teach His people to remember.
* There was the feast of Passover (that we've read about this morning). At Passover they REMEMBERED that their ancestors had once been slaves in Egypt, but God had led them out of slavery by His power and might.
* Then there was Pentecost. At Pentecost, Israel REMEMBERED that all their blessings came from God This was also called the feast of the 1st fruits, and during this festival they "remembered" that God had given them this promised land to live and raise their crops.
* Lastly, there was the Feast of Tabernacles. During this festival, the people were to dwell in tents to REMEMBER the 40 years Israel spent in t ...
There are 11936 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.