This content is part of a series.
Introduction: The Houstafel (1 of 6)
The book of Ephesians is summed up in the first chapter as Paul describes the mystery which has in times past been hidden that is now revealed to us in these last days… namely God's plan Ephesians 1:10 (ESV) 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
To Unite all things in Him means - That God through Jesus will restore creation to the glory which He originally intended. Everything that was lost in Eden will be restored by Jesus.
Now notice that last part of the verse - things in Heaven and things on Earth.
That phrase is not JUST a rhetorical device that we can more or less pass over. It is a literary division of rest of human history.
• ALREADY/NOT YET LANGUAGE -
• There is a NOT YET aspect of the Kingdom -We've seen it in Revelation - how everything that went wrong in the City of Eden, will be made right in the City of Heaven - with Jesus Christ ruling and reigning on the throne.
• But then there is this reference to things being redeemed and restored NOW here on earth through our lives.
• REVELATION dealt with those things God is going to do regardless of what you think or how you behave.
• EPHESIANS deals with the RIGHT NOW aspect of the Kingdom, the ways God is redeeming and restoring creation NOW through you.
How does God redeem and restore creation RIGHT NOW?
By ordinary Christians like you and I appropriating the Gospel to your daily life.
Ephesians is given to show you how to do that. Chapters 5 and 6 specifically show us how to apply the Gospel to our household. This is what MARTIN LUTHER called in German the, "Houstafel" - which means the Household Table.
The restoration of all things in Christ begins in the home #houstafel
The fact that you know Jesus must change us as -
• Husbands and Wives
• Parents and Children
• Employers and Employees
Over the next f ...
There are 16947 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.