This content is part of a series.
A Gold Christmas (3 of 4)
Series: The Colors Of Christmas
(This sermon was preached following a Christmas cantata, and time constraints forced us to sing only one congregational Christmas song. To compensate for this, I included 3 Christmas carols/hymns in the sermon).
OPEN: Someone sent an e-mail that made a list of Christmas Signs they'd seen in their city:
- Outside a church was a sign that read: "The original Christmas Club."
- A Toy Store declared: "Ho, ho, ho is spoken here."
- In a Bridal Boutique: "Marry Christmas."
- A reducing salon proclaimed: "24 Shaping Days until Christmas."
- A jewelry store advertised: "Diamond tiaras: $70,000. Three for $200,000.
- And on an Office Supply Store sign: "For the man who has everything: A calendar to remind him when payments are due."
(From: Mikey's Funnies mikeys-funnies-owner@YouthSpecialties.com)
One of the biggest challenges of Christmas is finding just the right gift for a person you love. When I buy a gift, I try NOT to buy "gift cards" unless that's what they want.
I'd rather buy:
- something personal
- something I believe they'd want
- something that I'd want if I were them. That way, if they don't want it, they can give it back to me.
In Matthew 2, we read the story of a group of Wisemen who've traveled a great distance to find a new born king and give Him special gifts that they'd picked out just for Him.
There's an old Hymn called "We 3 Kings Of Orient Are"
(SING IT WITH ME)
"We 3 kings of Orient are - bearing gifts, we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star
O, star of wonder, star of night, star with royal beauty bright
Westward leading still proceeding, guide us with thy perfect light"
The song goes on to tell of the 3 gifts that the Wisemen offered...
The 2nd verse says: "Born a King on Bethlehem's plain, gold I bring to crown Him again"
Then the 3rd verse: "Frankincense to offer have I - Incense ...
There are 11489 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.