This content is part of a series.
Witnessing To The "Gods" (4 of 4)
Series: Psalms of Praise
OPEN: A Sunday School teacher once asked her students: "What do you think God looks like?" These were some of the answers:
- He looks like Billy Graham.
- He's an old man because of all the years He's been alive.
- He looks like a human being with a heart, feet, eyes like fire, and... He shampoos his hair everyday.
- He's tall, gray hair, yellow skin... and brown sad eyes just like my puppy's
- He looks like my daddy. He's tall. He wears a jumpsuit on weekends and has a bald head.
- He looks like Jesus, but I'll tell you a secret. I'm not sure 'cause I've never seen him.
- I think He's an old man with a long, gray beard. And He sits on a throne like a king, and drinks all the Dr. Pepper He wants.
You see, that is what young children think about when they think of God.
But when we read Psalm 138, we find that David was not a young child when he wrote this. He was a man who was approximately 40 yrs. old (and some Scholars believe he's about to become the King of all Israel). And in this Psalm, David tells HIS own description of who God is.
And it's summed up in verse 6:
" Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar." Psalm 138:6
That's another way of saying what God tells us in James 4:6
"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
This is David's God.
He's a great God, who loves little people.
He loves the lowly, the insignificant, the small people.
God may be WAYYY up high, but He looks down with kindness on the lowly. It's only the so-called "impressive", the proud, the significant people of this world... that don't impress Him.
Isaiah said it this way:
"(God) tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."
He Cares For You!!!
And Isaiah continues: "WHO has measured the waters in the hol ...
There are 15869 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.