The Day Everything Changed (16 of 16) by Jeff Lynn
This content is part of a series.The Day Everything Changed (16 of 16)
Series: Covered in Dust
As you could tell from those verses of Scripture being dramatized in the video, there were a lot of differing emotions surrounding the crucifixion of Jesus.
Let me just quickly highlight some of those:
• And there followed him a great multitude of the people and of women who were mourning and lamenting for him.
• Others gambled over His clothing.
• And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him….
• One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
This thief was actually blaspheming, cursing, and mocking Jesus and scoffing at Him; as to make fun of His claims to be the Messiah.
• Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God, saying, "Certainly this man was innocent!"
This was a roman officer in charge of 100 men, who was confessing that Jesus was innocent.
• And all the crowds that had assembled for this spectacle, when they saw what had taken place, returned home beating their breasts.
They were overcome with grief having witnessed all this.
So, you have
Rulers scoffing at Him
Soldiers gambling for his clothes
A criminal cursing Him
A centurion praising Him
Crowds overcome with grief and sorrow
But look at some of the things that were happening which were unrelated to people.
• It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed.
From noon until 3:00 in the afternoon the sky was completely dark.
Darkness loomed for three hours in the middle of the afternoon.
In Matthew's account, he speaks of an earthquake.
• …and the earth shook, and the rocks were split.
• …the curtain of the temple was torn in two.
This was ...
There are 12809 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!