This content is part of a series.
The Nearness of an Awakening (7 of 12)
Series: Aiming at an Awakening
• The deep, deep desire of my heart is for God to send His Spirit to us in such a manifest way that people walking by on the street would sense His presence and be drawn in to Him. How often have I heard stories by men of God that someone was simply driving down the street in front of their building and, loaded down with the cares of this world, have sense they needed to stop, go inside, and find help. "Hear my prayer, O Lord."
• We are now over half-way to our target weekend. Along the way we have been and are praying for God to so awaken us to Him, His spirit, His power, and His will, that we can become the clay in His hands to be used at His desire.
• But the question is this: How close are we to a Spiritual Awakening? How near is it? Let's answer that question with the Bible story about the Emmaus road. (READ)
• As I read this story today, seeking God, trying to find the nugget for us tonight; I was amazed at all the gold found in this story. This could (and probably should) be a sermon series.
• The first thing which grabs me is verse 15, "While they were discussing and arguing, Jesus HIMSELF came near and began to walk with them." Think about it, when they thought Jesus was nowhere to be found - He was walking with them.
• Gordon Jensen wrote these words, "In the very thought of Jesus, His presence can be found, He's as close as the mention of His name. There is never any distance between my Lord and me. He's as close as the mention of His name."
• I believe an awakening is as close as Jesus. Seems to me that Jesus comes when we don't think He's coming, that He present when we don't think He's around, and He's our companion even when we don't recognize Him. Seems to me that He waiting for us to get so desperate that, like these 2, we become an open book of honesty into which He can write His words.
• Here's the picture: Je ...
There are 6727 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.