Hearing God When He Speaks
I Samuel 3:1-8
People have a tendency to listen only to what they want to listen to…
Keith Downing shared a story about his Uncle Dick. Apparently his uncle noticed that every time he ate his favorite food, chitlins, his foot pained him immensely that evening. The family physician confirmed his suspicion of pork-induced gout, and when my uncle returned home from the doctor's office, my aunt asked him how the appointment had gone. Uncle Dick plopped off his shoes and replied, ''The doctor said I'm going to have gout about 3 times a week.''
APPLY: People have a tendency to listen only to what they want to hear. The Bible even tells us that. God's Word informs us that ''The heart is deceitful above all things.''
In Ezekiel, God complained that ''these people have ears to hear but they never hear eyes to see, but they never see'' (12:2).
But God knew people would be like that… and so repeatedly thru scripture you can hear God say: ''Listen to me! Listen to me!''
• Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your ears this day,
that you may learn them, and keep, and do them
• Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
• Hear, O Israel the word which the LORD speaks unto you
• Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak…
and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth
• JESUS SAID: My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me
• JESUS SAID: He that has ears, let him hear.
Why does God want us to listen?
• Hear, O Israel, and be careful to obey/ so that it may go well with you
• Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will
make an everlasting covenant with you, [even] the sure mercies of David
What God's saying is = I want to bless you. I want to give you what your heart desires… BUT I can't if you won't listen.
Now let's review…
1. God wants us to hear His voice
2. And God wants us to hear His voice because that's the only way w ...
There are 9526 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.