The First Weekend of Service
Dr. Larry Osborne
A LOOK BACK AT THE VERY FIRST
WEEKEND OF SERVICE
- Getting Ready:
- Before they went out to serve, Jesus thinned the herd.
- Serving Others:
Luke 10:1-17/ Matthew 4:23-24/ Matthew 26:6-15
- They weren't sent out just to do good deeds.
- They were sent out as Jesus' advance team.
- They focused on those who were open to their message.
- Reporting Back:
Luke 10:17-21/ Mark 8:36-38/ 1 Peter 2:10-12
- The biggest problem we face is our eternity problem.
WHY IT NEEDS TO HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN
- Words without good deeds lack credibility.
Good deeds without words lack eternal impact.
- Genuine spirituality loves God AND our neighbor.
That means we need both obedience and compassion.
Matthew 22:36-40/ John 14:15/ Matthew 7:12
- What we do throughout the year is far more important than anything we'll ever do on a weekend.
TAKING IT HOME
Jesus distilled our job description as His followers down to this: Love God with all you've got and love others as you love yourself. (Paraphrase of Matthew 22:35-40.) We also know that "what we do throughout the year is far more important than anything we'll ever do on a weekend." Take some time to think and pray about where we go from here and how we can continue to do what God wants us to do. Jot down some of your ideas here.
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: Take a look at your sermon notes and maybe even check out a few of the Scriptures listed on Pastor Larry's outline. Was there a point in the sermon, a verse, or anything from the Weekend of Service video clips that surprised you, motivated you, or caused you to think differently?
1. Can you think of a time when somebody helped you out, served you, or met a need of yours that you couldn't meet on your own? If so, how did it feel and how did you respond?
What difference, if any, did i ...
There are 4008 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.