This content is part of a series.
Forgiven? - The Hidden Dangers of A "Moral" Lifestyle (16 of 68)
Series: 30 A.D. The Jesus Story
Dr. Larry Osborne
INVITED - BUT NOT WELCOMED
TWO RADICALLY DIFFERENT WAYS TO APPROACH JESUS (AND GOD)
1. PHARISEES: Proud and curious - Does he meet my standards?
2. SINNERS: Humble and grateful - Do I meet his standards?
THE TRUTH ABOUT FORGIVENESS
1. SOME OF US DON'T KNOW WHAT WE NEED
- Sin (even a little) produces death and separation from God
Genesis 3:1-24 and Romans 5:12/ James 2:10
- We can never balance it out or pay it off with good deeds
Isaiah 64:6/ Romans 3:9-12 and 20/ Galatians 5:4/ Matthew 5:20-48/ Hebrews 10:11
- The only path to forgiveness is the path to the cross
Galatians 2:21/ John 14:6/ Romans 3:20-26/ Romans 10:1-3 and 1 Corinthians 10:20
- If we don't want forgiveness - we won't get forgiveness
2. SOME OF US DON'T KNOW WHAT WE HAVE
- Our greatest problem is our sin problem -
not our finances, health, or happiness
Luke 10:20/ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 and 11:23-28/ Hebrews 11:32-40
- Those who understand their forgiveness are far more . . .
Luke 7:41-43/ John 14:15/ Colossians 3:13 and Matthew 18:21-35
TAKING IT HOME
1. Are there any past hurts or injustices that continue to be a challenge for you to extend forgiveness to someone? If so, how could the sermon or homework help you deal with that situation?
2. Take a moment to write (or say) a brief prayer of thanks to God for his forgiveness and what it cost him to provide it.
Growth Group Homework
Looking back at your notes from this week's teaching, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
1. When you've made a mistake or blown it at your job or in a relationship, how do you usually respond?
Keep quiet and hope no one notices
Go immediately an ...
There are 4178 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.