This content is part of a series.
Generosity Is Not A Number (53 of 68)
Series: 30 A.D. The Jesus Story
Dr. Larry Osborne
A Famous Story/ A Forgotten Context
A Widow's Gift:
Generosity Is Not A Number!
(1) Never confuse a biblical description
with a biblical prescription
(2) Generosity is measured by what's left over
far more than what's put in
Luke 21:3-4/ 2 Corinthians 8:1-4/ 2 Samuel 24:24
(3) When we give to impress, we get what we paid for
(4) We aren't called to meet every need,
we are called to meet some needs
2 Corinthians 9:7/ Acts 5:4/ 2 Thessalonians 3:10/ James 1:27
The Four Guiding Principles Of Generosity
2 Corinthians 8:12 and 1 Corinthians 16:1-2/ 2 Samuel 24:24/ Proverbs 3:9-10/ 2 Corinthians 9:6-11
(3) A step of Faith
(4) An act of Thanksgiving
TAKING IT HOME
1. Larry mentioned four guiding principles of generosity. After reviewing them, how are you doing at incorporating each of them into your giving?
2. In Matthew 6:25, Jesus illustrated a number of distractions that can cause us to lose contentment and even become greedy or money hungry. If you had the opportunity to rewrite this verse, what distractions would you add to make it apply even more specifically to you?
3. Generosity is not limited to what we do with our money. We can be generous in our time, sharing our expertise, opening our home, etc. Is there any non-monetary area you sense the Holy Spirit motivating you to be more generous in?
Growth Group Homework
Looking back at your notes from Generosity Is Not A Number, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?
1. We live in a society where most people have a lot of material possessions. At times, it can be tricky to know the difference between what we nee ...
There are 4010 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.