This content is part of a series.
Nanny 911 (4 of 7)
Series: Life Change
Pastor Chris Brown
THE WORLD'S HARDEST JOB:
Genesis 4:1-16, 1 Samuel 2:22-36, 3:13, 2 Samuel 13:25, 1 Kings 1:5-6, Luke 2:39-50
5 KEYS TO RUNNING ALONGSIDE YOUR KID:
Colossians 3:20-21, Ephesians 6:1-4, Acts 8:26-40, Proverbs 13:24, 19:18
1. Kids spell 'Love': T I M E .
2. Listen to understand, not to be understood.
Talk with your kid, not to your kid.
Pay now or pay later.
3. Rules without relationship lead to rebellion.
Set clear boundaries and consequences.
Don't have rules without reasons.
Pick some battles to lose.
4. Encourage far more than you criticize.
5. Make sure your kids know: they are loved.
they can't get their own way.
KEEP FOCUSED ON THE BIG PICTURE:
Mark 1:32-39, Hebrews 12:10-11, Proverbs 22:6
Make your first priority G O D, not G P A or M V P.
A FINAL THOUGHT:
You can stack the deck in your favor, but still draw a Joker!
TAKING IT HOME
1. Giving specific affirmation is an important ingredient in meaningful encouragement. It shows others that we really know them and value who they are. Use the list below to help you name 2-4 specific things that you appreciate about each of your children or a couple friends.
How are you doing at affirming these qualities in your kids/friends?
What steps does Proverbs 3:27 motivate you to take with each of the individuals you thought about above?
2. Is there one of the five keys from this weekend that you can begin to practice in your life as a parent and/or as a son or daughter?
Growth Group Homework
Special Note About this Week's Topic of Parenting: This week's homework and Growth Group ...
There are 4548 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.