This content is part of a series.
What do you 'Treasure?' (3 of 5)
Series: A Fan or a Follower
(Note: This series is inspired by Kyle Idleman's book - "Not a Fan")
• As we continue considering the question of, "Am I a Fan or Follower" of Jesus Christ, I remind us of this truth: "Jesus didn't die to build a fan base, He died to develop followers."
• Interestingly after the first two messages where we dug into Luke 9:23 and Luke 14:25ff, I heard Dr. James Merritt preach on this very text and subject. Here is his simple outline; If you are going to follow Christ, you have to go 'all in' (Bet the Ranch) which means you must deny self, die to self, and devote self. While this is the call for us to become a follower and not a fan, his strong point stuck with me.
• The scripture beginning of 'if anyone' is surprising. Why didn't or wouldn't He say, "If everyone." Think about it this way; Jesus - where He came from, what He did, what He said, why He came - and now you can bring all that you are (flaws, faults, failures, strengths, weaknesses, good, and bad) to Him, and when you come to Him you pass from lost to saved, darkness to light, death to life, estranged from God to embraced by God, and the best part is your eternal destination changes from hell to heaven - why wouldn't everyone want to come? "Blue-light special."
• By the way, when you 'come after' Jesus and give Him your heart and life - you no longer face life alone, you have a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
• Please consider another revealing question from God's word: What is it that you treasure? The Bible has much to say about 'treasure.' Candidly, in the Luke 9 and 14 passages we read the words "Come After" - and we 'come after' that which is important to us or better said, OUR TREASURE. Instead of 'coming after' Jesus many times we HOLD BACK from Jesus. It's not that we don't want a relationship with Him, we do, it is simply that we don't want it to cost us anything? T ...
There are 5911 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.