This content is part of a series.
Straight Talk About Prayer (3 of 8)
Series: Tales of the Kingdom
Dr. Larry Osborne
A MODEL, A MESS and A PROMISE
Luke 11:1-4 & Matthew 6:9-13/ Luke 11:5-8; Luke 18:1-8/ Luke 11:9-13
PRAYER: HOW IT WORKS
And Why It Sometimes Doesn’t
- Prayer is a family privilege.
Luke 11:2/ 1 Peter 3:12/ Proverbs 28:9/ John 16:23-24
- The Lord’s Prayer is a model to follow, not a formula to recite!
Luke 11:1-4 & Matthew 6:9-13
- Persistence pays.
1. An instant answer is a rare answer.
Matthew 26:36-46/ Daniel 10:12-14/ Luke 11:5-13 & 18:1-8
2. Persistence is hard work.
Colossians 4:2 & 12/ Exodus 17:8-13
3. Don’t let embarrassment stop you.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
4. How to tell if it’s a “No” or a “Not yet.”
2 Corinthians 12:7-10/ Psalm 37:4
Keep praying until. . .
You get what you ask for.
You change your mind.
God clearly says, “No.”
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: This week we heard some ‘Straight Talk about Prayer.” Was there one point that particularly caught your attention, challenged you or confused you more than the others?
1. How would you describe the role that prayer played in your family growing up?
Nowhere to be seen
Talked about, but not really done much
Mostly at the dinner table
Whenever a crisis surfaced
An everyday experience
2. After hearing this week’s teaching what would you say to someone who asks you to explain why persistence is an important part of prayer?
3. In what circumstances is it easiest for you to pray?
When is it the hardest?
1. What further insights do the following verses shed on both prayer and/or the role of persistence in ...
There are 3429 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1714 character sample of the full content.