This content is part of a series.
Great Expectations (5 of 10)
Series: Philippians - Conquering Life's Dungeons and Dragons
Dr. Larry Osborne
The "Abundant Life" Lie:
John 10:10/ John 8:44
- First Notice:
Maybe these are the good old days!
God promises to get us through, not keep us from hardships.
Acts 14:21-22/ 1 Peter 5:8-11
- The Way Things Really Were:
Paul's Disillusionment and Timothy's Dedication. (vs. 19-24)
Epaphroditus' Despair. (vs. 25-30)
Where Is God When He Doesn't Show Up?
Five Tough Questions/ Five Strange Answers
1. Is sickness a sign of sin? Sometimes and Always.
1 Corinthians 11:27-30 and John 5:5-14/ John 9:1-3/ Romans 5:12 and Hebrews 9:27
2. Do some people have a gift of healing? Yes and No.
1 Corinthians 12:7-9, 30/ Acts 5:14-16 and 28:1-9/ 2 Timothy 4:20, 1 Timothy 5:23/ Philippians 2:25-30
3. Why are some people healed while others suffer? Only God knows.
Deuteronomy 29:29/ Acts 12:1-17/ 2 Timothy 4:6-8 compared with 4:18
4. How important is faith? It's Essential and Overrated.
Hebrews 11:6/ Acts 14:8-10 and Mark 6:1-6/ Luke 17:5-6 and Acts 12:1-17
5. How should we respond to serious illness? Weep - Pray and Trust God.
Romans 12:15 and Proverbs 25:20/ Luke 18:1-8 and James 5:14-15/ 1 Peter 4:19
TAKING IT HOME
1. The quote below was written by C.S. Lewis as he imagined a conversation between a senior demon and his protégé as they scheme to bring down a new follower of Jesus. In light of this week's teaching, what's your response to the following quote?
"Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks upon a universe from which every trace of God seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."
- From the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
2. Is there any personal healing (e ...
There are 4108 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.