This content is part of a series.
Maturity Is A State Of Mind (6 of 10)
Series: Philippians - Conquering Life's Dungeons and Dragons
Dr. Larry Osborne
A Short History Lesson:
Philippians 3:2-3 and Galatians/ Romans 3:19-23, James 2:10-11 and Galatians 3:24
- Before "Worship Wars": There were circumcision and diet wars!
- The Big Debate: Did Jesus fulfill OT laws or do they still apply today?
- The Key Question: What was their ultimate purpose?
- A stairway to heaven?
- A signpost to Jesus?
Today's Passage: Beware! Religion Can Keep You From Knowing God!
- Avoid the dead-end called rules and rituals. (vs 1-3)
- Avoid the self-deception called heritage and self-discipline. (vs 4-9)
- Take the highway called following Jesus. (vs 10-16)
Following Jesus: A Mature Perspective Never Forgets. . .
1. As long as I'm alive - I haven't arrived.
Philippians 3:10-14/ 1 Corinthians 10:1-12
2. I need a mirror more than binoculars.
Matthew 7:3-5 and Galatians 6:3-4
3. The right path is seldom the easy path.
Philippians 3:12-14/ 1 Corinthians 9:24-27/ 2 Timothy 2:3
4. Success isn't forever and failure isn't final.
1 Corinthians 10:12/ Revelation 12:10, 1 John 2:1-2 and 1 Timothy1:12-16
5. The best way to follow Jesus is one step at a time.
Philippians 3:15-16/ Proverbs 4:18/ Philippians 2:13
TAKING IT HOME
1. Supposedly, growing Christians think and live more and more like Jesus as we learn to follow Him well. Stop for a couple minutes and ask God about how you're doing. Ask Him what the next step to become more like Him is - and then just listen to your heart and the Holy Spirit.
What is God telling you?
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: This weekend we took a look at spiritual maturity from the angle of how a spiritually mature person thinks of and perceives their spiritual life. Looking back over your notes, what did you find most challenging ...
There are 5026 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.