This content is part of a series.
How To Cult-Proof Your Faith (7 of 10)
Series: Philippians - Conquering Life's Dungeons and Dragons
Dr. Larry Osborne
Know Your Enemy:
John 8:44/ 2 Corinthians 11:14-15 and 1 Corinthians 10:20/ Matthew 7:15-16
- The most dangerous enemy is the one that looks like a friend.
- Satan's goal isn't to make us evil - it's to keep us from Christ.
Enemies or Citizens?
- Enemies claim to be followers of Jesus. But their. . . (vs 17-19)
Destiny = Destruction
God = Stomach
Glory = Their Shame
Focus = Earthly Things
- Those who follow God (called "citizens of heaven"): (vs 20-21)
Trust Jesus to make them right with God.
- Why is this such a big deal?
By raising the bar with man-made rules - the enemy keeps people from God.
By turning religion into a set of rituals and rules - the enemy fills us with pride.
How To Cult-Proof Your Faith
- Watch Out For Those Who. . .
1. Devalue the cross.
Philippians 3:18 (enemies of the cross)/ John 19:30/ Galatians 2:21 and 3:1-5
2. Focus more on what we eat than who we are.
Philippians 3:19 (their god is their stomach)/ Mark 7:1-23/ 1 Timothy 4:1-10/ Colossians 2:20-23
3. Breed an attitude of elitism and pride.
Philippians 3:19 (their glory is their shame)/ Isaiah 64:6/ Proverbs 6:16-17 and Luke 18:9-14
4. Focus on brand new insights and special teachers.
1 Corinthians 3:1-4/ Acts 17:11/ Galatians 1:6-9/ Deuteronomy 18:21-22
- Never confuse a victim of the Enemy with the Enemy himself!
2 Timothy 2:24-26
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: Was there one point from this week's sermon that particularly caught your attention, challenged you or confused you?
1. Have you ever had an encounter with someone who was trying to influence you to believe something completely contrary to what you knew to be true? What was your first gu ...
There are 4252 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.