Loving God (3 of 10) by Chris Brown
This content is part of a series.Loving God (3 of 10)
Series: Lessons from 1st John
Pastor Chris Brown
1 John 2:12-17
UNDERSTANDING THE PASSAGE:
1 John 2:15, John 3:16, 1 John 5:19, James 4:4
Did you know there are actually two worlds?
THE PRIORITY QUESTION:
1 John 2:15-17, Matthew 6:19-24
What am I chasing after?
THREE CHOICES THAT SHOW MY REAL PRIORITY:
1 John 2:16, James 1:13-16, Matthew 6:33, Philippians 2:3, 1 Corinthians 10:13
1. Do I choose the lust of the flesh or self-control?
2. Do I choose the lust of the eyes or contentment?
3. Do I choose the pride of life or humility?
TWO DIFFERENT RESPONSES:
1 John 2:17, Matthew 4:1-11, Matthew 19:16-26, Philippians 3:8-21
- A Worldly Response: prestige, status, and comfort.
- An Eternal Response: God's agenda and people.
TAKING IT HOME
1. It's good for us to remember that God wants us to have self-control in the way we deal with our needs and desires. 2 Peter 1:3-9 encourages us to add self-control to knowledge and then add perseverance to self-control.
Knowledge - Knowing what tempts you is a first step in avoiding sin. Can you think of a few things or situations that set you up to sin or choose the wrong priorities?
Self-control - Our ability to say "no" to what we want is one of the most important things about us. How could you grow your ability to stand strong in the face of any temptations you listed above?
Perseverance - Having self-control over the long haul is greatly improved by taking others on your journey. Is there any way your group or an individual in your group could help you say "no" to the "cravings or wrong desires" we often face?
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: Take a look at your sermon notes from this week. Was there a point in the sermon or a verse that Chris read that you really took to heart? Was there anything else that challenged you or caught your attention?
1. The advertising industry spends billions of dollars ea ...
There are 4105 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!