This content is part of a series.
Burden or Blessing? (9 of 10)
Series: Lessons from 1st John
Dr. Larry Osborne
1 John 5:1-12
Have you ever felt like God's commands were more of a burden than a blessing? Let's look at the facts!
- Here We Go Again! (1 John 5:1-5)
1 John 3:22-23 and John 14:6/ 1 John 2:9-11 and John 13:34-35/ 1 John 2:3-5 and John 14:21
If I want the Father, I need the Son.
If I genuinely love God, I'll also love His kids (all of them).
If I genuinely love God, I'll also obey His commands.
- Who Ya Gonna Believe? (1 John 5:6-12)
Matthew 3:16-17/ Matthew 27:50-51 and Hebrews 2:14-15/ John 1:32-34 and John 15:26
If I reject Jesus, I'm calling God a liar!
GOD'S COMMANDS: BURDEN OR BLESSING?
- What does the Bible say?
1 John 5:3-4/ Matthew 11:28-30/ Joshua 1:7-8/ Proverbs 3:5-7
God's commands are for our benefit - they're never arbitrary.
- What does the Evidence say? Five Quick Examples
1. Old Testament: Strict diet and Sabbath laws.
Exodus 15:26/ Exodus 20:8-11 and Mark 2:23-27 (don't forget Matthew 27:50-51 ended these laws)
2. Marriage: Stay together - even if it's a drag.
Malachi 2:16/ Matthew 19:3-6
3. Money: Give away a tenth of your income.
Proverbs 3:9-10/ Malachi 3:9-11/ 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 and 1 Timothy 6:9-10, 17-19
4. Sex: If you want to be intimate - get married.
1 Thessalonians 4:1-8/ 1 Corinthians 7:1-9
5. Honesty: Always tell the truth.
Matthew 5:37 and Ephesians 4:25 (With RARE exceptions Exodus 1:15-21 and James 2:24-26)
- The only smart choice:
Proverbs 3:5-6/ Romans 12:2
Do things God's way - even when it makes no sense!
Growth Group Homework
QUICK REVIEW: Looking back over your sermon notes from Burden or Blessing? which particular point or passage of Scripture most challenged, confused, or caught your attention?
1. Can you think of a time in your life when you did things God's way despite the fact it made no sense and God proved His ...
There are 4042 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.