This content is part of a series.
Passing The Torch (4 of 11)
Dr. Larry Osborne
Proverbs 22:6, Ephesians 6:4, Ezekiel 18:20
It's no easy thing raising godly kids in a culture where godliness is in short supply. Many single parents, couples, and even grandparents fear for the future that the next generation will face. But God has a game plan that fits any culture and one priority that He asks us to focus on above all others.
THREE VERSES: Two Sides of The Coin
Proverbs 22:6/ Ephesians 6:4/ Ezekiel 18:20
A DEVASTATING MYTH/A FRUSTRATING TRUTH
Proverbs 22:6/ Genesis 3/ Ezekiel 18:20/ Proverbs 21:30-31
The Myth: A godly home guarantees godly kids.
The Truth: We have no control. But we have tons of influence.
PREPARED FOR BATTLE
Increasing Your Odds of Success
1. Fight For A Strong Marriage.
Ephesians 5:22-6:4/ Malachi 2:13-16
2. Model Respect For Authority.
Romans 13:1-7/ Proverbs 24:21-22
3. Put Character Over Performance.
1 Samuel 16:7/ Luke 9:25/ Matthew 6:33
4. Take A Genuine Interest In Their World.
Philippians 2:3-5/ John 1:14
5. Pick Your Battles.
Ephesians 6:4/ Colossians 3:21/ Ecclesiastes 7:16-18/ Romans 14:1-15
TAKING IT HOME
1. As you think of preparing your children (or those under your influence) to thrive in this culture and "increasing your odds of success," is there one point from the sermon or homework that you need to focus on more than others?
2. As God's children, we have been given a perfect example to follow (Jesus) and a powerful helper to walk by our side (The Holy Spirit). Spend some time thanking your heavenly "Dad" for what He has given you.
Growth Group Homework
Note: This week's sermon and homework focuses on parenting. But if you're not a parent or don't have kids in your home, simply apply the questions to other significant relationships where you wish to have significant spiritual influence.
There are 4536 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.