This content is part of a series.
Does Everything Happen For A Reason? (1 of 5)
Series: Urban Legends 2
Dr. Larry Osborne
WHEN BAD STUFF HAPPENS:
- The Good News: Everything happens for a reason.
- The Bad News: It's not always the reason we hoped for!
ALWAYS READ THE LARGE PRINT!
Romans 8:28/ John 14:15/ Romans 1:6-7; 1 Timothy 6:12-14 and 2 Timothy 1:9
- The Promise:
It says, "In all things God works for good" - NOT "all things are good!"
- Two "Large Print" Conditions:
If we love God AND if we're part of God's family.
TWO REASONS WHY A BAD THING MIGHT BE A GOOD THING
Genesis 50:20/ 2 Corinthians 1:3-6/ Hebrews 12:5-12
1. If God has something better in mind.
2. If it's a necessary step toward a greater good.
FOUR REASONS WHY
A BAD THING MIGHT BE A BAD THING
1. We live in a fallen world.
Genesis 1-4:8/ 1 Peter 4:12/ Hebrews 9:27 and 1 Corinthians 15:21 and 26/ Isaiah 5:20
2. If we've ignored God's warnings.
Romans 6:23/ Proverbs 1:23-33/ Deuteronomy 28:1-2 and 15
3. If we've made foolish decisions.
Proverbs 19:2-3/ Proverbs 22:3
4. If we're caught in the backwash.
Daniel 1:1-6/ Job/ 1 Peter 4:19
SOMETHING TO HOLD ON TO
1 Corinthians 15:19/ 1 Peter 5:6-10/ Romans 8:35-39
- A promise called "heaven."
TAKING IT HOME
1. As a result of this week's teaching and study, how has your understanding of why bad stuff happens been affirmed, changed or expanded?
2. Revelation 21:4 says that in heaven God will "wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." How can His promise help you face trials this week?
Growth Group Homework
Looking back over your notes from this week's sermon, what did you find most challenging, helpful, interesting or troubling? If you could have asked P ...
There are 3789 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1894 character sample of the full content.