This content is part of a series.
Does a Godly Home Guarantee Godly Kids? (3 of 5)
Series: Urban Legends 2
WHERE'D WE GET THAT IDEA?
What We Think It Says:
If we raise a child correctly, he will come back to God eventually.
What It Actually Says:
If we raise a child according to his bent, he won't turn away.
The Forgotten Distinction:
This is a proverb, not a promise!
WHY THIS IS SUCH A DEVASTATING MYTH:
- It produces needless guilt, foolish pride, and a false sense of hope.
WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY SAYS:
Genesis 1-3/ Ezekiel 18:1-32/ Proverbs 21:30-31
- Rebellion happens even in the best of environments.
- Everyone is responsible for their own actions.
- We can have lots of influence - we don't have any power.
INCREASING YOUR ODDS
- To make it easier for your kids to know God. . .
- Work on having a great marriage.
- Model what you hope to get.
- Adapt to their unique bent and world.
- To make it harder for your kids to know God. . .
Ephesians 6:4 and Colossians 3:21/ Ecclesiastes 7:16-18/ 1 Samuel 2:22-25 and 3:12-13
Be unreasonably strict.
Embarrass them with your religious zeal.
Defend them - even when they're wrong.
Be a hypocrite - even a secret hypocrite.
Food for Thought
Questions and Scriptures for further study
Note to those who aren't in a parenting role: These questions ar ...
There are 2791 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1396 character sample of the full content.