This content is part of a series.
The Energize Ticket (4 of 6)
Series: Your Ticket to Life
Introduction: In 2 Peter 1:1-11 we are given the tickets to life that we are to understand and to use. These are the tickets that allow us to go to new levels, new opportunities, and new challenges without failing. The next ticket is the "energize" ticket, which stands for self-control. This is obviously a huge need in our world, but before we say too much about our horrible, out of control world, we should look at ourselves, our own out of control things. We are to be lords over ourselves. We are over not under all our emotions, thoughts, desires, and so on.
I. YOUR TICKET TO LIFE
1. Ticket to Life: A special pass offered to you by Jesus to enter into specified places that requires someone to pay the costs of the ticket. The holder has faith to receive the tickets and enter.
Supply anything needed -> Faith -> Add Excellence -> Add Knowledge -> Add Self-Control
3. Energize Ticket: Egkrateia is the ticket that prepares us to enter doors of opportunity by yielding our self to the Holy Spirit and learning the disciplines of self-control.
B. KEY VERSE
1. 2 Peter 1:5, Message: So don't lose a minute in building on what you've been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding…
2. 2 Peter 1:6, Damazio: …add to knowledge self-control, temperance, alert discipline, mastery, say no to something, having a firm hold on one's desires…
II. DEFINING SELF-CONTROL
A. SELF-CONTROL IS BEING ENERGIZED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT'S POWER TO RULE ONE'S ATTITUDES, PASSIONS, AND HABITS SO THAT ONE IS NEITHER DRIVEN NOR DOMINATED BY DESIRES OF THE FLESH
1. Self-control in the Bible is not only man's willpower, but also the product of one's relationship with God, the Holy Spirit, and the Word.
2. Self-control is the power to regulate one's personal life so that one is neither driven nor dominated by desires of the fl ...
There are 14491 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.