This content is part of a series.
Jesus and the Communion Table (4 of 4)
Series: Give Me More of Jesus
INTRODUCTION Memorials are an important part of our culture.
- Historical reminders: Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial
- Visual reminders: Corporate logos, the golden arches or McDonalds, the interlocking rings of the Olympics, the bold 'swoosh' of Nike, Micky Mouse ears, Coca Cola
- Visual symbols in Christian traditions: Dove, cross, fish
In terms of communion, the Lord's Supper is first an occasion of Christ communing with His people. As Luke 22:15 says, ''Earnestly desires to eat the Passover with you''. In the words with you, Jesus spoke of desiring close fellowship with His disciples, and through the symbols of the cup and the bread, He shared Himself with them. Jesus was the Host of the Table, not as a distant person, but as one who communicated intimately with His disciples. Thus the atmosphere created was that of close communion with those who belonged to Him. Christ revealed Himself at the table, the risen Christ was present and made Himself know to His disciples. As the Early Church broke bread together, there was a vital sense of the resurrected living Lord in their midst. Since Christ is now the risen and exalted Lord, we may view every occasion of the Lord's Supper as an opportunity for the living Christ to communicate intimately with His people. Now, Today. Come, Lord Jesus, into our midst. Open our eyes. Fill our hearts with your Presence. Bring healing, hope and encouragement.
I. THE LAST WEEK OF CHRIST'S LIFE
- Saturday - Anointed by many
- Sunday - Triumphant entry into Jerusalem
- Monday - Second temple cleansing
- Tuesday - Confrontation with Pharisees, end-time teaching
- Wednesday - Silent
- Thursday - Upper room communion, foot washing, John 13-14, teachings, love, Gethsamane, all-night prayer, betrayal
- Friday - Crucifixion, early morning (trial, Pilate, Herod, beatings, cross)
- Saturday - Grave
There are 12246 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.