Jesus Presented at the Temple
A pious young couple with a new baby meets two devout old people in the Temple. A chance meeting - or a divine appointment?
I. Parenting by the Book. vv. 21-24
A. The Book - the law of Moses, the law of the Lord.
1. God made a covenant with Abraham - a covenant of grace.
2. God gave the law to Moses - 430 years later. Galatians 3:17
B. The circumcision. v. 21
1. Spiritual significance as the sign and seal of the covenant. Genesis 17:1f
2. Child introduced to privileges and responsibilities of the covenant.
3. God's expected inward/outward circumcision. Romans 2:17f
C. The naming - according to the angel's instructions. Luke 1:31
D. The purification - see v. 22; Leviticus 12:2-8.
1. Enforced period of rest away from cultic (and sexual?) activity.
2. Purification - no moral taint of marital sex or of childbirth.
3. But recognition of human sinfulness in light of divine wonder of birth.
E. The presentation - see Exodus 13:2, 12.
1. Jeho ...
There are 2112 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 1056 character sample of the full content.