This content is part of a series.
Psalm 63: Psalm Of The Thirsty Soul (2 of 5)
Series: Psalms - Desiring God
Introduction: The faith of Psalms 61-62 reaches its conclusion in Psalm 63, David's song in the wilderness. This psalm displays David's love for God in a dry, thirsty, and hard place. In a place where the soul is either destroyed or developed, David's soul deepened with the heat of the circumstance. The natural wilderness David was in was also a spiritual wilderness for David. He was in a lonely, solitary, desolate, unsettled, and afflicted place. It was a time with little direction as to what to do, but David found a touch of God for his soul while in the wilderness.
I. PSALM 63 IS THE PSALM OF THE THIRSTY SOUL
A. PSALM 63 IS CALLED
1. The Psalm of the Thirsty Soul
2. The Psalm of the Desperate Life
3. The Psalm of the Satisfied Soul
4. The Psalm of the Wilderness Experience
5. The Psalm of Intense Longing For God
6. The Psalm of the Morning
B. THE PRAYER OF THE THIRSTY SOUL
Lord, my heart is in need of a fresh touch of grace, a deep deposit of Your presence, a change in my soul from poverty to spiritual wealth, and a new intensity that creates a new capacity for You. I rise up today and follow hard after You.
II. BACKGROUND OF PSALM 63
A. HISTORICAL SETTING: THE WILDERNESS OF JUDAH
1. David is in yet another wilderness experience of weariness and distress in a rough place with an unusual life and in alarming circumstances.
2. Most believe he is running from Absalom's rebellion and is in the Wilderness of Ziph. He was in a land that creates weariness by the roughness of the ways, the steepness of the hills, and the heat of the days. The wilderness was a place of transition. (2 Samuel 15:23; 16:2; 17:29)
3. David is king and has been for many years. He has experienced many battles but this is his own son, the son he loved with all his heart but the son who would break his heart.
B. COMMENTATORS ON PSALM 63
1. The Early Ch ...
There are 16236 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.