This content is part of a series.
The Most Powerful member in the Church (16 of 24)
Series: How to Do Life
• This world is given to a thirst for power. Governments fall, corporations collapse, organizations explode, and churches implode over this issue of power. Everyone is truly interested in power; who has it and/or can I get it! In fact, some are here to discover 'who' the most powerful member in the church really is.
• What do you think of when you hear the word, "Power?" Do you think of horsepower, nuclear power, jet power, electrical power, or even the power found in dynamite?
• The Bible teaches us the about the most powerful member of the body. Let's read. (READ TEXT) The Word of God says the most powerful is the tongue. The tongue has great power of use and equally has great power of abuse.
• Because this is such a highly personal and sensitive subject, it is easy to find funnies. Warren Wiersbe tells the story of a woman coming to the altar and saying to the preacher, "I want to lay my tongue on the altar." The preacher turned and looked at the altar responding, "I don't think the altar is big enough." Another story I read is where a doctor asked a woman to stick out her tongue. She did and he took his prescription pad and wrote a script. When he was through writing, he simply said, "That's good." She snapped, "You didn't even look at my tongue." Calmly he said, "I didn't want to look at your tongue, I wanted to keep you quiet while I wrote the script." (She probably found a new doctor)
• The tongue possesses interesting power. It is the power of words multiplied by the power of a person. This past week we saw the power of the words from a Jury (Casey Anthony). Whether a president or a peon, words are big.
• James says that a mark of maturity is the ability to control your tongue (it would follow that mark of immaturity is the inability to control your tongue.
• A cursory reading of our text reveals that James, as the leader of t ...
There are 11786 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.