This content is part of a series.
Fair Is Fair (1 of 3)
Series: Sermon On Mount
Opening: A woman read ahead as we were going through this text and was troubled by the phrase: "do not turn away from the one desiring to borrow from you." It wasn't that she didn't give to those in need... her problem was that she was giving so much away, that she barely had enough left for herself and her family. Clearly, she wanted to show love, but she was afraid that she was misunderstanding something. So first we need to deal with what Jesus DIDN'T MEAN.
WHAT DID JESUS "NOT MEAN"?
1. Did Jesus mean for us to "give to everybody?"
Well, there are certain priorities in "giving." For example:
• If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (I Tim. 5:8). That's one of our 1st priorities as a believer.
• Don't give what is sacred to the dogs or cast your pearls before swine. There are certain people that you know are going to abuse or misuse your "gift" and so you need to be careful about giving to them.
ILLUS: Several years ago at this congregation, there was a regular attender at worship who was down on his luck. Repeatedly, the congregation would help him out with financial gifts because he was part of their church family. Then it became known that he was visiting one of the local porno shops in the area. It was apparent that their financial gifts were going toward supporting his "habit" and they changed how they helped.
2. Did Jesus mean that we shouldn't "resist Evil" at all?
There are other scriptures that show us that this may be an oversimplification. For example:
• Jesus clearing the temple courts. There were probably no more imposing sights than when Jesus turned over the tables of the marketers in the Temple - twice. What was He doing? He was resisting the evil of men within a sacred setting.
• Proverbs 25:26 declares that "like a muddied spring or a polluted ...
There are 10376 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.