This content is part of a series.
I've Been Set Free (23 of 49)
Series: Romans- God's Glorious Gospel
• Please turn with me to Romans 8 and let's begin the chapter which is the "heart" of the Roman letter. Paul's letter to Rome is "God's Glorious Gospel" because it gives us hope and help. Let's read.
• Years ago, Albert Brumley wrote a gospel song which has now become a standard in gospel music. It is entitled "He set me free".
Once like a bird in prison I dwelled, No freedom from my sorrow I felt,
But Jesus came and listened to me, And glory to God, He set me free
He set me free Yes, He set me free
He broke the bars of prison for me
I'm glory bound my Jesus to see Praise the Lord, He set me free!
• When I reflect on those words, I am reminded of a time when the people of God were excited about being set free! The same joy and excitement was sensed in the songs of that day. Another song said, "I saw the light, I saw the light, no more in darkness, no more night. Now I'm so happy no sorrow in sight. Praise the Lord, I saw the Light!" It is written that Hank Williams wrote this song about his personal religious convictions even though he struggle with the demon of alcohol. Yet, by his own words he felt set free.
• Verse 2 says in part, "Jesus Christ has set you free." Think about this with me; can you think of a time when you were set free? You were lock up, tied to, or even addicted to something and got free.
• In New York City is the Brooklyn Tabernacle Church led by Pastor Jim Cymbala. To attend that church, you get the sense that people earnestly seek God in their lives because God has set them free. They have been set free from drugs, prostitution, pornography, and more. When a person has been set free, he is excited.
• Did you realize that "being set free" is what happens when we come to Christ. Remember that all have sinned and that sin brings the penalty of death. Outside of Christ we are prisoners to sin, self, and Satan. We ar ...
There are 11493 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.