What Does It Mean To Be "His" (38 of 49) by Jerry Watts
This content is part of a series.What Does It Mean To Be "His" (38 of 49)
Series: Romans - God's Glorious Gospel
• (Video- "I am a Child of God) "For HIS service." Think about this word with me, "Possession." What does it mean to possess something? It means you "own it", and you "control it." To possess something give you power over whatever it is that you possess. When we hear about this concept, we think of cars, houses, etc, yet, in God's word we find a clear picture.
• On numerous occasions in the gospels we see "possessed" people. The common terminology is "demon-possessed". Have you ever considered the behavior of a 'possessed' person? The person's actions are controlled by that which 'possessed them'. The demon controlled their speech, their lifestyle, and even their attitude because he is indeed in total control.
• As we have read our Romans passage today, it is clearly a passage which is intended for God's redeemed Children. And I can lift out of this passage the Holy Spirit speaking to the Apostle Paul and saying, "Tell them that THIS is what it means to be mine."
• Candidly, too many have put their slant on exactly what it means to be God's child. For many, it means reforming their lifestyle, repeat the right words, and even reduce our bad habits.
1. It means we have received GRACE. - Paul says, "For by the grace given to me." This speaks of his Damascus road experience; his salvation, his transformation, or his reconciliation. Paul knew He had received some-thing which he did not deserve and He never got over it. When you and I come to Christ and receive this wonderful gift of grace, it affects us.
a. It affects our mindset - Think about the 2 options for our thinking which Paul gives. First is "think of yourself" and second he lists "think sensible." Honestly, I keep looking for a third option. It seems that Paul is attempting to teach us that when we think more highly of ourselves than we should that we are not thinking s ...
There are 11487 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.
Sign up for a Free Trial with SermonSearch.com and download this sermon free today!