This content is part of a series.
Handling the Issues of Life (43 of 49)
Series: Romans - God's Glorious Gospel
• Let's begin our time this morning thinking of a duo, duet, and a "one-two" punch. This duo has the ability to steal, kill, and destroy. It can steal your reputation, kill your faith, and it can destroy your testimony. This dangerous duo is our heart and mouth. Believe it or not, the Bible teaches that these two are totally intertwined. Let's read 2 scriptures.
• Matt. 12:34 - For the mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart. (HCSB) Prov. 4:23 - Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. (NKJV) Think about that, "The ISSUES" of life. What comes to your mind when you hear that word, "issue?" Certainly, the word carries many different meanings. However, when put this way we know that it means a problem, argument, disagreement or the like. In point of fact, an issue is something that demands our consideration and attention.
• In our text we read, "Don't argue over doubtful issues." What is the world are "doubtful issues?!"
• Were I to offer my personal definition, it would be "secondary issues" or "non-essential items" or maybe, "personal preferences." It would seem that since Bible days there has been a tendency among the church folk to raise personal preference and desire to the level of theology. There are some issues which cannot be compromised at all, but there are far more issues which are based on our own opinion. Perhaps this is why Saint Augustine is quoted as saying, "In essentials, unity, in non-essentials, liberty, but in all things, charity."
• Let's refrain from making this merely a Bible lesson today and let's agree to make this a personal lesson. That is, truths which we both take and respond to PERSONALLY. I know that many of us have said this phrase to me, "I have issues." Let view this matter of issues in 2 categories.
1. DIVISIVE ISSUES - These are the doubtful issues (I.E ...
There are 13313 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.