This content is part of a series.
The Life of a Strong Believer (45 of 49)
Series: Romans - God's Glorious Gospel
• If you are given a choice, which would you choose, to be weak or to be strong? It's kind of a useless question because everyone desires to be strong and for good reason. In the matter of our health we know that if our body gets weak we become susceptible to disease and an untimely death. We also know that we function better if we are strong; our minds think more clearly, our hearts have less stress, and our bodies hurt less. Candidly, it is just more enjoyable to be strong than weak. We could spend quite a while talking about this "strong-weak" issue and discuss subjects ranging from war to sports to marriage to relationships and always come back to the sincere conclusion that in anything we prefer to be strong instead of weak.
• This is also true in our Spiritual life. What person would say, "I want to be weak spiritually?" Yet Paul brings to light that there are those who are weak in their faith. Back in first 2 verses of Chapter 14 he uses the word picture of being feeble, diseased, impotent, and sick.
• When I physically see that Greek word translated to English, I think of "asthma." This is a disease of the airways. In simple terms, the airways become inflamed and narrow which is followed by a production of excess mucus which makes it difficult to breath. The causes of this condition are generally a hypersensitivity to certain triggers. The result of asthma is that the individual is seemingly weak, fragile, and susceptible to illness.
• When Jonathon was a kid, he suffered from asthma. He wanted to play soccer. Though he did play some, we always had the inhaler close at hand because his body was so weak.
• Without hesitation I would offer that weakness is not a desired trait because it can be dangerous. Spiritual weakness can be deadly. Yet, were I to give you a quiz this morning asking you to rate your spiritual life on a ...
There are 12038 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.