This content is part of a series.
Triumphant Living (8 Of 37)
Series: Christ In All The Scripture
This morning to understand the Master's Message, that is the Gospel that Jesus preached, the Gospel that Paul preached, and the Salvation that the people of the Bible lived out 20 centuries ago please open with me to II Corinthians 2:14-17. As we read this awesome passage describing what Paul declared as a fact of his Christian life, we need to examine our lives and see where we are in the Triumph March!
In his mind is the picture of a Roman Triumph and of Christ as a universal conqueror. The highest honor victorious Roman general could ever receive was called the Roman Triumph. It was only for those who had satisfied certain conditions:
1. He must have been the actual commander-in-chief in the field.
2. The campaign must have been completely finished, the region pacified and the victorious troops brought home.
3. Five thousand of the enemy at least must have fallen in one engagement.
4. A positive extension of territory must have been gained, and not merely a disaster retrieved or an attack repelled.
5. And the victory must have been won over a foreign foe and not in a civil war.
What is the image that God's Word gives us for our daily Christian life? The image that Paul had in mind can be seen in Plutarch's description of the three-day Triumph given the Roman General Aemilius Paulus upon his return from capturing Macedonia. Great scaffolds were erected in the forum and along the boulevards of Rome for spectator seating, and all of Rome turned out, dressed in festive white.
o On the 1st day, 259 chariots displayed in procession the statues, pictures, and colossal images taken from the enemy. On the second day, innumerable wagons bore the armor of the Macedonians. As Plutarch tells it: … all newly polished and glittering; the pieces of which were piled up and arranged purposely with the greatest art, so as to seem to be tumbled in heaps carelessly and by ch ...
There are 10733 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.