This content is part of a series.
Getting Off the Performance Treadmill (1 of 3)
Series: God's Best Kept Secret
January 21-22, 2006
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
"Perfectionist" - "A person whose standards are beyond reason or reach. A person who strains compulsively and unremittingly toward impossible goals and who measure their own self-worth entirely in terms of productivity and accomplishment."
I. The RUIN of Perfectionism.
Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?
Why is perfectionism such a trap?
Why does perfectionism have such a strong tendency to "ruin" us?
1. We can end up angry with God because things don't always work out the way we want.
2. We can end up afraid of God because we think He cannot be pleased.
3. We can end up frustrated in life because we aren't as productive as we want to be.
4. We can end up insecure because we never feel like we are really acceptable to God.
5. We can end up isolated because we are so hard to be around.
II. The REVELATION of Perfectionism.
1. Are you an idealist or a realist?
2. Do you set impossible goals for yourself and for others and then fail to fulfill them?
3. Do you try to be the best or do the best?
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
1 Cor. 15:9-10
For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be calle ...
There are 4791 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.