This content is part of a series.
Be Filled with the Spirit (12 of 21)
We have been studying Paul's letter to the Ephesians for several weeks now -
• Remember the first portion of the letter Paul described in detail what it meant to be saved or as he put it - called.
• Then we saw in 4:1 that Paul introduced a new section by saying 1 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
• - BALANCE SLIDE -
• The remainder of Ephesians can be understood as a description of a worthy walk.
Well what does that look like? The remainder of the letter answers that question. Already Paul has required some amazing things of us.
• Chapter 4:2 We are to be Humble, Gentle and Tolerant
• In verse 3 we are to preserve unity
• In verse 15 we are speak the truth in love
• 25 we are to lay aside falsehood
• In 26 do not let the sun go down on our anger
• We are to be givers in verse 28
• We are to edify in verse 29
• We are to refrain from slander in verse 31
• In verse 32 we are to be kind and forgive
And if all of that was not difficult enough Paul has the audacity to say in verse 1 of Chapter 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;
Now be honest with me - how are you going to do that?
As far as I can tell you are left with only 2 options
1. What Haddon Robinson calls - Sola Bootstrapa - Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and give it the old college try. But friend take it from one who has been there - you will find it an exercise in utter futility.
• People who take this approach either become frustrated and say, "what's the use?"
• Or they become hypocrites who try to convince others that they have achieved a level of living which has eluded them.
2. A Miracle of God - Something has to happen to you that will enable to operate on a superhuman level.
And friend that is what you are called to. God doesn't expect you to ac ...
There are 16227 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.