This content is part of a series.
On The Road With Elijah To Horeb Pt. 2 (10 Of 13)
Series: On the Road with Elijah
1 Kings 19:9-18
1. The Stern Voice of God
a) A Word of Confrontation
b) A Word of Censure
2. The Small Voice of God
a) The Visitation of God
b) The Voice of God
3. The Specific Voice of God
a) The Return Elijah Was To Make
b) The Responsibility Elijah Was To Take
1. The famous statue of Moses by Michelangelo can be found in the church of San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome. I have read that there is a slight chip in the statue's right knee. A story goes that when it was completed, Michelangelo was so impressed with its life-like qualities that he ordered it to speak. When the statue did not obey he struck the statue with his mallet chipping the right knee.
2. Speaking is not possible with a statue of stone, but it is the nature of God. Elijah, as we have seen in our past studies was well acquainted with the voice of God. His ear had become attuned to God's voice. In both his highest and lowest moments he had heard God speak. Once again he hears God's voice.
3. In our last study we looked at the question that God asked Elijah when He came to him in the cave at Horeb. Now let's look at the context in which that question was asked. As we do, we hear:
1. THE STERN VOICE OF GOD
1. As we saw in our last study, Elijah "came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?" (19:9). Once again Elijah hears the "word of the LORD" coming to him. However, the tone of His voice was different than on past occasions.
2. On this occasion, God's word to Elijah was:
A) A Word of Confrontation
1. When God asked Elijah where he was he was not asking for information about his location. The God who knows all things knew exactly where he was. God had been patient with Elijah since the hour he had fled from the threats of Jezebel. God had let him run for many mi ...
There are 21438 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.