This content is part of a series.
Satisfaction in High Definition (3 of 5)
Series: Life in HD
1. Rolling stone magazine ranks it as the number two song on its five hundred greatest songs of all time. It was the number one song on vh-1's one hundred greatest rock 'n roll songs of all time. The reason it became so much of a hit was not because of how it sounded, but what it said. You may remember the title, ''I can't get no satisfaction.''
2. I must admit that when it comes to satisfaction and contentment, sometimes I run a little short myself. I do so for the same reason we all do - it is all in that little word called ''more.'' I battle it just like you do.
3. There are a lot of high dollar, white-collar executives on madison avenue, who drive Mercedes and BMWs, and live in penthouses, in upper Manhattan, because they are able to do two things: make sure that you and I are discontent with what we have and make sure that we always want more than what we've got.
4. Why else do you think they would be willing to pay $2.6 million dollars for a 30 second advertising slot during the super bowl? They are making mega-bucks for themselves, because they know how to create discontent.
5. Let's say this word together - ''more''. If there is a single word that summarizes the American dream, in a sense, that is it. We want more money. We want more success. We want more square footage. We want more luxuries. We live for more. Many people live for their next raise, their next house, their next car, their next purchase. We just can't find satisfaction.
6. I want you to listen to this story of a man named, Herbert, that I came across. He signed up for an ATandT long distance service. He was quite satisfied until he received a letter from sprint offering him $50 to switch carriers (while also promising to pay the switch charge and handle all the arrangements). He decided to switch to sprint. Several weeks later, he received a check in the mail f ...
There are 15368 characters in the full content. This excerpt only shows a 2000 character sample of the full content.